Fees and Rebates
Standard face to face consultations:
- Initial consultation is $230 for a 50+ minute session.
- Subsequent consultation is $210 for a 50+ minute session.
New fees for telehealth video conference sessions during the course of COVID-19 restrictions as of 6/4/20:
- Initial consultation fee is $210 for a 50+ minute session.
- Subsequent consultation fee is $190 for a 50+ minute session.
- COVID-19 vulnerable clients (e.g., chronic health condition, immune compromised, health vulnerable cultural group), unemployed, or commonwealth concession card holders will be bulk billed for video conference sessions under a valid Medicare referral.
- All other clients referred under a Medicare plan will be charged at the above discounted telehealth rates (which include a co-payment), with payment required on the day of the session. Clients will be then be provided with a receipt that they can use to claim a rebate (currently $126.50) from Medicare if Medicare sessions are remaining.
- If you are experiencing particular financial hardship due the current COVID-19 economic downturn or your Medicare sessions for the year have expired, please inquire about an additional discounted session fee.
Clinical psychology consultation services are exempt from GST. However, cancellation fees and some forms of ancillary work (e.g., certain types of report writing or correspondence) may not be exempt from GST. All consultations are for 50 to 55 minutes. Longer consultations are available and incur a higher fee. Excluding bulk billed sessions, payment is required via cash, cheque or eftpos/credit card, or bank transfer at the time of the consultation.
You can be referred for Clinical Psychology Services by your GP under a Mental Health Care Plan. This entitles you to Medicare rebates for up to 10 sessions per calendar year. The GP initially can provide written approval for 6 sessions, and then further approval for another 4 sessions. It is a requirement of Medicare that the treating psychologist be provided with a GP referral letter and a copy of the mental health plan before claiming a rebate from Medicare. The current Medicare rebate is $126.50 per standard consultation. Further information can be accessed from the Medicare website.
A referral can also be made by a Psychiatrist. A Mental Health Care Plan is not required. However, the referring doctor is still required to lodge the relevant item number with Medicare and provide a referral letter.
Private Health Insurance Rebates
A referral is not usually required when utilising Private Health Care cover, however eligibility for Clinical Psychology services should be checked with your insurer.
Rebates cannot be claimed from Medicare and Private Health Care cover concurrently. Private Health Care cover can be utilised in the event that therapy extends for more than the 10 allocated Medicare sessions.
Note: a referral from a doctor is not required to access clinical psychology services. However, a valid referral letter is required if you intend to claim a rebate from Medicare.
Late Cancellation and Non-Attendance Fees
Cancellations without at least 24-hours notice will incur a fee (you can cancel via email, phone, SMS). If no notice of cancellation is made, and the client fails to attend a session, then the full fee will be charged. Cancellation fees cannot be rebated from Medicare or health insurance providers.